Information systems affect every business function – from daily transaction processing to financial reporting and analysis. Advances such as Internet Web Services and wireless networks have radically changed interactions among customers, suppliers and business partners. Managers now consider the effects of technological trends and resources when making key strategic and operational decisions. Better use of information systems not only increases productivity and strengthens internal controls, but also provides a distinct competitive advantage.
In addition to reviewing technological trends, you must perform cost/benefits and ROI analyses for proposed new software or hardware. Because the process of evaluating and implementing new systems requires domain expertise, extensive time commitment and detailed evaluation, it is often practical to have experienced consultants advise on or manage these projects. Consider the following:
- Have you assessed the impact of technological advances on the structure of your industry and the corresponding effects on your company?
- Do your information systems allow you to measure performance against key goals and make timely adjustments to your business tactics?
- Do you know if systems problems and complaints are widespread or specific to individuals or functions?
- System selection and implementation projects typically require six months to a year. Do your managers and in-house technical staff have the time and skills needed to evaluate new options and manage the implementation process?
- Are your systems adequately secure from internal and external threats? Have you considered the impact of a systems failure and developed a comprehensive business recovery plan?
We will work with your IT professionals to:
- Benchmark your firm relative to best technology practices in your industry group. Provide guidance on new tools and methods relevant to your industry.
- Evaluate the ability of your current technology infrastructure to support present and future business needs. Integrate specialized expertise to address complex technical issues.
- Recommend system modifications based on business requirements. Develop and implement a systems transition plan to address financial, operational, and organizational issues.
- Research and evaluate available products and services and recommend the best solutions. Manage the demonstration and testing process. Develop specifications for custom modifications to vendor products.
- Coordinate with internal management on system implementation efforts. Negotiate with vendors on your behalf. Educate IT staff and end users on new features and capabilities.
- Review current internal controls and security procedures. Recommend improvements to ensure business continuity in the event of systems disruptions.